Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Little Table

I have been in need of a very little table for use out on the deck.  I wanted something less than two feet tall and somewhere around a foot square.  I looked around at a few antique stores in the area but didn't see anything small enough.  While visiting the kids last week I stopped in the antique shop there and found one that would have worked but the proprietors wanted $19 for the thing and wouldn't budge.  As my daughter-in-law Samantha says... "They're very proud of their merchandise."  I didn't buy it but I took a couple pictures of it because I really liked the design and figured I could duplicate it without a lot of trouble.  I liked the way the legs were mounted on the outside of the shelves but angled, not square to them.  So, the last couple of days I gave it a shot.  It's been a long time since I did any woodworking with small stock.  Making something out of a 2x4 is pretty simple.  If you don't like where the first nail goes, or need another one, just pound the sucker in... lots of room.  Making something with quite smaller stock provided some challenges.  After cutting the pieces to size I found some difficulty in putting them together to say the least.  Getting it to square up had me talking to it in what might have been perceived as a derogatory manner by a bystander.  Next time the shelves will be square which is the way they were in the antique one.  Boy, did I learn a lesson!  In the end it turned out to be just what I wanted. 

1 comment: