Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Leftovers


I really wasn't looking for a project today but the weather was just so beautiful I kind of just had to be out doing something.  January 12th and it's 73 degrees!  We'll probably have snow and an ice storm to rival January of 2011 next week. 

Last spring I put in 5 little knockout roses off the grass in the backyard.  I watered them and fertilized them and talked to them and they just tried and tried to grow.  Everytime there was an open flower the thing disappeared by next day.  New stem growth was gone as well.  I figured deer which come through the yard from time to time so I sprayed garlic and dropped some mothballs and for a while it looked like the little suckers would have a chance.  Last week while wandering around I noticed that again the new stem growth was all gone.  I figured I could fence them or put some chicken wire over them or something but all the ideas I was coming up with, or reading about, seemed kind of stupid.  Today I decided to get them out of the ground and into pots to at least stop them from being dinner.  While digging them out I noticed a nice little pile of animal poop inside the rock circle that surrounds one of the plants.  It was obvious that something was just sitting there eating and pooping and having a wonderful time.  I finished potting the plants and then did some web searching to see just what kind of poop it is.  Rabbit poop!  Stinkin' rabbit poop!  Potting them and putting them out behind the garage wasn't going to cut it because the rabbits just sit across the driveway and now I was moving the food closer.  I had to get them off the ground and that was project #2 for the day... a potted plant bench or whatever it should be called.  I had some leftover wood that I had already stained and then didn't use so I cut it up and made the bench.  I think it turned out rather nice :)

Ta da!  My nice new potted plant holding bench.
  
And from another angle, just so it's simplistic beauty can be appreciated.

And here it is in use.  I'm rather happy with it and considering I didn't have to go out to get any supplies and it only took a few hours to do, it's all the better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment