Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

File This

For those of you not familiar with or aware of my most intimate secrets, I love file cabinets.  I find them the most useful storage pieces for everything and I've made a point of picking them up when I come across them at a good price.  I only want the best... office-grade, ball-bearing suspension tracks.  I brought home a 'cheaper' one a long time ago and while I've still got it and use it for storing sandpaper, glues, putty and the like, if I can find a replacement 2-drawer model, I'd get it.  Anyway, these suckers are expensive as you know and I'm quite frugal.  I think I've gotten all of mine at Goodwill except for the aforementioned crummy one that I got out of the alley.  I picked up a great 5-drawer cabinet last summer I think it was but have struck out since then... until yesterday :)  It was priced right, $8.98 and was in pretty good shape.  BUT... it was 'senior day' which meant the 25% discount took it down to $7.20 and although I was hoping for something in the $6.00 range, I decided to splurge.  It was filthy and covered in tobacco smoke residue but a bit of grease remover and soap and water and this puppy was clean.  It was kind of an ugly grey so I decided to give it a couple coats of black paint.  I also discovered that someone had painted over the solid brass drawer pulls!  Well, a few minutes with a bit of paint stripper and those suckers were shining.  Just this morning moved it upstairs to its new home.  I'm happy :)

Eat your heart out, Samantha!  You'll get it someday but that's a long way off :)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh!!! I'm jealous, I haven't found a good one yet. Maybe I should bike to the one I go to and see if the same luck that works for you works for me too!

    ReplyDelete