Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Little Flower - Little Birds

Oh what a beautiful day to be alive and enjoying it !!  A bit chilly this morning but it has warmed up to about 70 and the sun is shining in a cloudless sky.  Who could ask for more?  No one... so don't!  The project for today was putting in a white clematis, again, to take the place of the wonderful passion flower vine that didn't make it for us for some reason.  That thing was soooooooo beautiful.  Anyway, a few days ago I put in the clematis and in the next few days I decided I didn't like the pot or the dirt I had put into it so went out and got a new pot, different soil, and got that little sucker planted again.  It's going to grow and grow and fill the whole trellis up.  I had a purple one in Brookfield that came back every year bigger than the last.  I actually took a cutting from it to CT when I moved there, put it in the ground under/around the mailbox ironwork and it grew just fine as well.  I'm sure this new one will be happy.
Here it is in the new pot just waiting to start growing.

And here's where it's headed for.  Now don't be a naysayer... you'll see.

While I was putzing around in the front of the house a robin flew out from a bush so I figured there might be some baby robins in a nest she had made for herself.  Momma bird stayed away while I peeked and then got the camera in where I could take a picture.  I've never seen open-mouthed baby birds like this, only in pictures.  Granted, you can only see the pictures as well but you can take my word that it was very exciting to see.  Go ahead... click on the photo to make it larger and you can see the open mouths and the still-covered eyes.  I saw 4 in there... might be more but that's what I saw.  Enjoy :)
This is the holly bush right in front of the house where the little suckers have their nest.  The nest is close to the trunk so it was a bit of work to get the camera in there since I sure didn't want to knock it out of the tree.  As I was shooting, I kept an eye out in case Momma bird came back.  She was sitting in a tree about 50 feet away or so watching over things.  Happily, she kept her distance and I didn't take long.

See those little things?  The bright yellow is their wide-open mouths.

One more having gotten the camera in just a bit closer.  How cool is this?!?!?!


1 comment: