Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Little Birds

One of the delightful pleasures I discovered when I came down to GA was the presence of hummingbirds.  I had first put out my finch feeders and was really disappointed that no finch ever showed up because I really liked seeing those things up in CT.  Up there I had a lot of goldfinches during the summer months.  Here, as said, not a one.  When I noticed the hummingbirds flying around last year I got myself a feeder and hung it up on the porch and really liked watching them.  This year we've had them around as well and I get a kick out of watching them.  One thing that really got my attention was how fast these little suckers fly.  I mean we all know that they're small and they hover and can fly backwards but I never knew how fast they were.  We've got a couple this year that seem to be chasing each other around constantly... darting here and there right in front of us at times.  I grabbed the camera and was able to snap some pictures.  It is NOT easy!!  They come in fast and the leave fast!!  Anyway... here's what I got:
This is the view when sitting in a chair on the covered part of the porch.  The windchime is on the left of the brick column, the hummingbird feeder is on the right.  There's actually one feeding now but it's a bit tough to see.  Now don't forget, you can enlarge the photo by just clicking on it.

So here's one of the little suckers coming in to refuel.

It puts on the brakes and takes aim.  This is probably the best shot.  Pretty good I think :)

Closing in...

Closing in... almost there...

Contact!  Sometimes they just grab a drink from one of the petals... sometimes they take a drink from each of them... whatever the mood suits them, I guess.  Of course our presence makes them a bit skittish.

If a bird is already at the feeder, or if it just feels like sitting a spell I guess, they have taken to sitting on this support for the windchime.  Very cool :)

Still waiting... or resting... doesn't really matter.

1 comment: