Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

January Snow Storm

I really, really thought I had gotten away from this stuff but, evidently, no such luck.  According to the news, most all of Georgia north of Savannah is closed today... yep, closed.  Also included is Arkansas and Alabama, the Carolinas, and the rest of the middle south I guess.  What a total pain in the butt.  The storm had been anticipated all week with the weather folks on the TV and radio having a jolly time of talking about it.  I had done shopping and errands on Saturday and that too was kind of wacky.  It's the first time I've been in a grocery where the meat department was really, really rather empty and the milk section, a rather large one at that, was totally bare.  It's like people were hunkering in for the whole month.  Now that the storm has passed for the most part I'm glad I have what food in the house that I do because it's going to be a while before this stuff clears.  They have no snow-clearing equipment here... I heard on the local news that 16 sand trucks and 11 plows were out.  That's for the entire Atlanta area!!  I did bring a couple of snow shovels down here with me... I remember the moving man kind of kidding me about moving them.  There's not much I can do but I'll go out in a while to take a look.  In case you missed my early posts, my driveway is long and very steep.  Hell, it's tough to stand on and difficult to walk up when it's dry.  I'm not looking forward to trying to shovel it.  One fall and I'm down and sliding for about a block before the road starts uphill.  Of course, then I'd have to figure a way to get back up.  Cool.  Oh yeah, there was a little thing on the news last night that sledding things... sleds, disks, etc... were selling out.  No kidding.

Right on time, the snow started at about 8 PM or so and it fell very fast.  This was about an hour after it started as the snow collected on the top railing of the deck.


Same time as the previous picture.  BIG damn flakes!!


And this, Monday, morning.  Just prior to this picture being taken the freezing rain, or whatever it is, had started.  Yippee.

Hard to see the little rain gauge, on the railing pretty much in the center of the picture, but it's showing about 4 1/2 inches.  The nice thing is that this is double the average amount of snowfall for an entire season in this area and that means, according to my thinking, that we won't have any more snow for 3 years.  We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, yes, we freak out over snow and hurricanes. Grocery stores are always bare. I think it's pretty funny. I also believe mother nature has forgotten where we live.

    ReplyDelete