Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Fun with FDR

As anyone who has heard my comments regarding my feelings about FDR I'm not a fan of the guy, what he did, what he stood for, or his taste in women.  With that said, his having been around provided for a pretty good day today for me.  Continuing with my geocaching took me down to the Warm Springs, GA area today for a cache find at The Little White House (LWH) and then over to the FDR state park.  I have to admit that it was good to learn a bit of history and see where the guy got away to when he could.  The LWH itself is a rather humble but cozy place, not big at all.  Interesting that all the beds in the 3 small bedrooms were single beds and that here, as in the real white house, FDR and Elanor had separate rooms.  I wonder why?  An information sign noted that the lovely Elanor didn't go down to the LWH much but their kids did.  I give credit to the GA state geocaching program because this was what is called a multi-cache and it kind of made sure you saw, and read about, the history of the place.  You're directed to 4 different areas looking for informational answers.  At each you read something and the 'answer' you're looking for is a part of the combination to open the cache box at the end.  I lucked out... got them all first time through.  It was a good experience and I did enjoy myself as well as learn things. 

After the LWH it was a short while over to FDR state park where I went after an official geocache located not too far down one of the trails.  The trail runs for 28 miles through the park... I only had to go 1/2 mile :)  The trail was right along the crest of a mountain and had it not been for the trees the views probably would have been spectacular. 
See?  If they'd just cut down the trees near the top the vista is quite beautiful.

This is the trail.  As said, I only had to go out about 1/2 mile but it was most difficult walking because virtually every footstep was on/around an embedded rock/stone in the trail.  I'm talking major sprain-your-ankle-sucker rocky.
 
At the cache site.  It was kind of funny.  The trail is just above the large rock formation you see behind me.  I was standing up there with the GPS unit and thought something like "It's underneath me" and thought about how I was supposed to get down to it.  Of course I got down and pretty much walked right to the cache which was located in a splintered section of the big rock behind me, directly below where I was standing before.  Pretty good find I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment